Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Secret Closet

We're all friends here, right? Good I thought so. So I can share a little secret with my good friends and y'all won't judge me right? Awesome!

I'm not the best housekeeper in the world, hence why that is one of my New Years Resolutions. I want a nice clean spotless house but I've realized that is impossible with two kids. I just don't have the time to make my house spotless, so our house has a nice lived in feeling. If Dan and I don't work together the mess can get really overwhelming and make hour little house almost unlivable. Our goal is for the living spaces of our house and the boys bathroom to always be clean enough that if someone stopped by we wouldn't be embarrassed. I keep the boys room clean because it gives them, especially Jonathan, a lot of security and a clean room has less scary shadows at night which is a big concern for Jonathan. But there is one room in our house that is a complete and total disaster and that room brings me so much stress that I often close the door to that room and hope no one asks what's behind the door that's always closed.

Any Friends fans out there? Remember "The One With The Secret Closet"? Yeah this room is kind of like that. It's the room where everything goes that we can't find a place for in the rest of the house. And that room is...

Our Guest Room/Home Office. I took pictures to show y'all just how bad it is. Brutal honesty.

Wow! It looks even worse in picture that in real life, or maybe I'm just in denial. It's supposed to be a guest room, does anyone see the guest bed. Its over in the corner near the window under the towering pile of suitcases still not put away from our vacation. I really hope we don't have an earthquake because if we do those suitcases are toppling over for sure. I also see the baby swing in this picture that Jason outgrew in July. 6 months later it's still in our house and not out in storage. Lets see another picture.


This picture is supposed to be the office space. Yes that is my Christmas Tree box in the middle of the room and the Christmas Tree is still in our living room. I know I really need to take it down soon. Our paper recycling is overflowing. This is really bad.

What's even worse is that my dad stayed in this room in November when he visited which means all this disaster has happened in the last 8 weeks. Ouch!

So why am I sharing this with y'all? I have made it my goal to have this room completely tidied up by the end of January. My mom is coming in March and I don't want to be frantically cleaning right before she comes. So ask me at the end of January how it is going and hopefully I'll be able to show after pictures that are a vast improvement over the before pictures.

Thanks for listening. Love y'all!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

watch a few episodes of TLC's Clean Sweep and you'll find some good advise on organization and you'll find that your room isn't as bad as some on that show.

You can do it!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

ahhh yes, my house is the same. I've come to realize it will NEVER be spotless! Good luck with your room! Keep us posted on the progress!

Anonymous said...

We used to have a room like that, as a product of moving houses. We have since fixed that, but the stuff didn't disappear... it is just hidden in other nooks and crannies in the house.

I can't keep our house clean either. As soon as I get it somewhat straightened.... Eileen will get up from her nap and it's a mess again. She drags everything out, and will make sure that mysterious cheerios appear from nowhere. John isn't much help either... jackets are strewn all over, because he won't ever hang them up. Our bedroom? Forget it. Piles of clean clothes on things, dirty clothes on the floor. I constantly trip over the shoes that John leaves in the walkway to the bathroom.

Don't beat yourself up over it. It is what it is. And most of us have something like this to deal with. Take small steps to change it, and it will change. I would take a look at FlyLady. Google it, because I don't have the link anymore. She has a TON of timesavers and cleaning tips, and might be of help. :) You can do it!
-Shaunna

Anonymous said...

Stuff and clutter...the bane of my life. Especially since I stay at home and I never get away from it!

I'm with the other commenters! I have full confidence in you. You CAN do it! Maybe sometime I'll run over there and help you. :) email me. whistlererin at yahoo.