Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Making Salad Dressing

When I'm in Fairbanks my mom and I always spend a lot of time in the kitchen. We bake and try brand new recipes that neither one of us wants to try alone. Lets face it, it is always more fun to experiment with new recipes when there is someone else to help you and laugh with you when things go wrong. Not that it always goes wrong but Mom and I have had a few gigantic failures that ended with dinner out. Jonathan has started taking an interest in helping us in the kitchen. One night mom and I were working on dinner and he came in wanting to help. What we were making wasn't something he could safely help with so we pulled out a salad dressing recipe that would be pretty easy for him to work on with some help.

Here he is whisking together mayo and buttermilk. I never said this was a healthy salad
dressing, but it does taste very good. Growing up I always had homemade salad dressing and it has totally spoiled me. Nothing out of a bottle is very appealing to me.


Measuring out spices for the salad dressing. He thought the little rubber prep bowls were really cool. He enjoyed squeezing them and trying to turn them inside out, when they were empty.


Crushing spices with a mortar and pestle. This was my favorite part of making salad dressing with my mom. Take a look a that focused look.


All finished and ready to try it out on a slice of cucumber, his favorite vegetable.


Don't worry there was no double dipping involved. He looks like he is enjoying his cucumber and dressing.


A big thumbs up means it tastes great. It was a lot of fun and I'm excited to have him help out where he can in the kitchen.

4 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

How fun! The kids love helping me too... on the rare occasion that I actually... you know... cook! haha

Bobbi said...

FUN! I always love cooking with my mom, well usually it is baking! And my grandma naccarato every year has us girls out to her house to make a bunch of different kinds of Italian cookies... YUM!

Nicoly said...

Cute, Peyton is all about the cooking these days too. He wants to make everything! And what is it about cucumbers that toddlers love so much?

wholarmor said...

Cute pics! Looks like he's a great help in the kitchen!