Thursday, July 16, 2009

A River Hike

Those of you who know me very well know that I'm not much of an outdoors person. I like to be outside enjoying fresh air but tent camping and hiking aren't something I frequently do. You won't find me doing an overnight backpack outing like some of my friends enjoy. (love you Megs!) My father-in-law calls what we do tent camping for comfort and its just about my speed. We bring air mattresses and make sure the campground has some sort of restroom, ie. better than squatting. The campground we were at this year even had a shower facility which I used and loved.

So this begs the question how did I end up camping this year in the 1st place? Well it was actually my idea. I know shocking but true. I really wanted to spend some time at the Oregon Coast but I didn't think we would have time this summer. Then Dan found out that the paint company he works for was taking the second week of July as vacation. So we had the time to go but not really the money. Well I knew my father-in-law loves to camp so I proposed that we camp at the coast. I'd get to enjoy the coast and he'd get to camp. I figured I'd survive a few days camping, and the shower facility helped my survival! The campground we were at was along the Salmon River near Otis, Oregon, about 10 miles from Lincoln City, Oregon.
As you can see the area was gorgeous. At night in our tent we feel asleep listening to the river, it was wonderful. For some reason I was feeling extra adventurous, I blame it on the beautiful area and wanting to see more of it, so Dan and I went hiking along the river bank. It was so fun. We left the boys with Grandma and Grandpa and headed down a huge slope to the river bank. Then we traversed our way along the banks and rocks exploring the area.
Look there's my husband, isn't he studly! It was really fun to spent time together without the boys doing something totally fun. Dan mentioned that it would be cool to find a way to get to the other side of the river. We kept going and up a little further I saw a place where it looked like it might be possible to cross to the other side. The only trick would be getting to the spot because the bank was ending and we'd have to navigate the rocks. Dan wanted to quit but I was determined to make it. Then one of the rocks I stepped on gave way. I didn't fall in but decided it might be time to admit defeat and turn back. Unfortunately it was too late. My shoes were wet and when I turned back I slipped and fell in the river.
Fortunately the river is shallow and rather slow so I was fine. I was soaked up to my knees and scraped up my elbow a little bit. The trip back was slow as I trudged along in wet pants and shoes, and climbing up the hill to the campsite was difficult with wet shoes but I still had a great time with my husband. I was also very thankful for a hot shower back at the campgrounds!

Look Dan and I made an appearance on my blog. We should be good for a while, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Books = Possibilities said...

Looks like you had so much fun! The pictures are just beautiful!

Bobbi said...

This looks like so so so much fun! You should e-mail me the details of where it is and how to get there so Jon and I can go sometime! I have never been to a campsite with a shower, but I feel that is my kind of camping haha. I miss you, and I am craving arby's!!!

Lisa Christine said...

I love that you two are wearing matching sweatshirts. I make Donald match me....sometimes :)a