Sunday, March 1, 2009

Me and My Keys

Anyone who has known me for any length of time knows that my keys and I have some issues. Or probably more accurately I have issues keeping track of my keys. In fact I have such a reputation with my keys that they young man I dated in high school gave Dan and I a key holder as a wedding gift with a note that said simply "She'll need this. Trust me." And these aren't recent problems that can be blamed on pregnancy or having kids, no these problems go back to the first week I had my drivers license.

I kid you not in the first week I had my drivers license I locked my keys in the car 4 out of 5 days and twice the car was running. Not having a cell phone at the time I couldn't discretely call my mom to bail me out. Nope I had to swallow my pride and take the walk of shame and ask to barrow a phone. It was quite embarrassing.

I have locked myself out of every house I have ever lived in at least once. When Jonathan was really little, still small enough to carry around in his infant carrier, I managed to lock myself out of the house and car without my cell phone in the rain. I had to walk almost a half mile to our church, with Jonathan in his carrier on my arm. By the time I got there I was drenched and rather upset.

Last January I really out did myself and managed to lock Dan out of his car at work. While attempting to rescue him from my mistake I managed to lock myself out of my car and our house. I was at home with the keys to his car and he was at work, with a car he couldn't get into, with the keys to the house and my car. You can read the whole story here. Believe me it's worth it. Yet another proud moment and my biggest key debacle ever.

My special skill struck again last Thursday when I locked my self out of my house and car again. But this time we were prepared and had placed a key in a magnetic box under out deck. Unfortunately that was before we latticed in our deck. I reached under the deck and found the keys but they were just a little out of my reach. I shoved my arm further under the deck and grabbed the container with my fingertips. The magnet released and at the same time my finger tips lost their grip and I dropped the container under the deck and out of reach. Crud! By this point I'm running really late to pick up my friend and am on track to be late to class. I'm also up a creek without a paddle. Fortunately Dan had a prep period on Thursday morning and came to my rescue. He got to the house moved a piece of wood and exposed a huge gap between the ground and lattice and pulled out the spare key with ease. Well if I'd know there was a gap I could have done that. Oh well!

I'm sure this won't be the last post about my keys but hopefully there won't be another one anytime soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am getting to this point, but you still outdo me in this. I have managed to lock myself out of my car several times, and homes in Moscow. Haven't locked myself out of any of my houses here in Washington, yet. *fingers crossed, and knocking on wood*

However, with one of the car incidents, we found out that my mom and dad's van key works on my car. Rather useful, but odd. :) I love reading about your adventures, though, because it makes me laugh, and helps me to realize I am not the only one! Congratulations on your student teaching placement!
-Shaunna

Lisa Christine said...

I am always paranoid about locking myself out!

Sounds like you have had more than your fair share of BAD LUCK!